Friday 4 February at 6.00pm 2022. Wanaka Community Hub, 34 McDougall Street, Wanaka 9305, Wanaka.
Dr Doug Sutton, University of Auckland (Retired).
This paper summarises research over the last fifty years which has clarified what we now know about:
- The original discovery of the Chatham Islands,
- The indigenous development there of Moriori population, culture and society,
- The nature of Moriori society as it was prior to new arrivals,
- The demographic, environmental, social and cultural impacts of rediscovery by sealers and whalers, and the enduring occupation of the islands by new settlers.
- The condition of Moriori by 1870.
It reviews the Moriori struggle for survival which was set in motion by the herculean efforts and tactical genius of Hirawanu Tapu (1824-1900) and codified, a hundred years after his death, by settlement with the Crown.