Moriori – assuredly a story worth telling.
June 17 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm$5
Speaker: Dr Doug Sutton, University of Auckland (Retired).
This paper summarises research over the last fifty years which has clarified what we now know about:
- The original discovery of the Chatham Islands,
- The indigenous development there of Moriori population, culture and society,
- The nature of Moriori society as it was prior to new arrivals,
- The demographic, environmental, social and cultural impacts of rediscovery by sealers and whalers, and the enduring occupation of the islands by new settlers.
- The condition of Moriori by 1870.
It reviews the Moriori struggle for survival which was set in motion by the herculean efforts and tactical genius of Hirawanu Tapu (1824-1900) and codified, a hundred years after his death, by settlement with the Crown.